night and day sweatshops

Making Things.

7.06.2006

HOLY B'JEEZUZ, I'VE BEEN NOMINATED FOR AN EMMY

Baghdad ER is a documentary directed by Jon Alpert produced by DCTV and HBO. Alpert, through his amazing reputation as a journalist, managed to get access to a U.S. military hospital out in Baghdad. The hospital mostly treats injured american soldiers but will also treat wounded Iraqis. The documentary does not make any political statements about the war. Its only makes a human statement. The doctors are brave. The soldiers are brave. People are dying. More soldiers are being sent home with amputations from this war than any other. In Baghdad ER, they dont just tell you these things, they show you these things.

Before starting this job, I was told that it was extremely graphic. I seriously thought about turning down the work because I have trouble watching violence. The documentary sounded important though. So now I am nominated for an emmy for Outstanding Sound Editing for Nonfiction Programming.

I have never been so fundamentally disturbed by a job. Its an amazing important work, and I am proud to be apart of it. It is very important that people, especially American people see this film. Since the civil war, we have not had war on american soil. Those of us who ar not shipped off to war, dont have much of an understanding of what it does to the people who fight.

Which reminds me, coincendentally, of a documentary my friend Victoria Mills is making. Its called "Hidden Battles." Its about the psychological effects of killing on front line soldiers around the world. www.hiddenbattles.com

1 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Lila - Eddie shared the news and I'm very excited for you! I wish I'd seen it, but we don't get HBO.

    Congratulations and good luck!

    Drop me an email when you get a chance -- byomtoob@yahoo.com

    Your cousin Ben

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home